If we had a dollar for every time someone said, “Why can’t I just drink water instead of drinking Hydralyte?”, we’d have enough money to get a Hydralyte Ready to Use Electrolyte Solution in the hands of every Australian. The truth is, we love water. We love it so much we use it (or put it) in all our products. But Hydralyte isn’t a replacement for water. On the contrary, it’s a product that’s been scientifically formulated to help you rapidly rehydrate once you’re already experiencing the symptoms of dehydration. You should always aim to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water each day. But that doesn’t always happen, does it? Instead of thinking of Hydralyte as a replacement product, try thinking of Hydralyte as a helpful friend. If you haven’t had enough water and have found yourself experiencing signs of dehydration, Hydralyte is there (hopefully you’ve prepared in advance and stocked up) to lend a hand when you need it most.
Still not convinced?
Let’s flesh this idea out with a bit of science:
- The formulation of Hydralyte is based on the World Health Organisation criteria for Oral Rehydration Salts Solutions
- Hydralyte has been formulated to contain the correct balance of glucose and electrolytes for rapid rehydration
- It contains up to 75% less sugar than the leading sports drinks
- Hydralyte is hypotonic, which means it’s the most rapidly absorbed fluid type for rehydration of body cells
If you’re still eager to learn more, here are a few interesting facts:
- To function correctly, your body needs both water and electrolytes (such as sodium, potassium and chloride). Water helps to maintain body temperature, digest food and lubricate tissues and joints. Electrolytes help to retain fluid and maintain good nerve and muscle function.
- The most rapid and effective way to manage mild to moderate dehydration is to activate the sodium-glucose co-transporter located in the intestinal mucosa of the small intestine.
Now you know that Oral Rehydration Salts Solutions – such as Hydralyte – are here to help you manage dehydration, not to compete with or replace water. So whether it was caused by vomiting, heavy sweating, or a clinical condition, think of Hydralyte as the best way to help you rapidly rehydrate when water alone is not enough.